Sunday, July 31, 2011

JUST EAT IT: Beer Kitchen



BEER KITCHEN
435 Westport Rd Kansas City, MO 64111

For months now, people from all different walks of life have been telling me to go and give this place a try. I finally made it happen and brought a few of my foodie friends along for the trip. And let me tell you true believers, THIS trip was worth it. 

I originally dismissed this restaurant as another watering hole in Westport that just happened to serve food. I was wrong. Beer Kitchen is all about the food. This was a rare occasion when literally almost EVERYTHING on the menu looked to be worth ordering. 

We gave the restaurant a go on a Friday evening. We arrived just before the Westport "weekend crowd" started to rush in. Ya know, these guys:


After being shown to our table in the middle of the restaurant we began to peruse the menu. I realized quickly that we had all been quiet for some time do to the excessive amount of salivating that was occurring around the table. The entire menu looked great. There were plenty of tried and true favorites as well as some food with twists. 

I figured I would give a classic bar sandwich a try in an attempt to gauge what kind of experience we were all in for. My philosophy has always been that if they can't get the basics right, then I don't even need to try any of their more creative offerings. I got the reuben. It was the best reuben I have ever had. The corned beef was tender and delicious, the rye bread was crisp and the cheese was perfectly melted. I also ordered a side of Truffle-Parmesan fries with a side of Smoked Chipotle dipping sauce. It was hard to settle on what dipping sauce I wanted because there were so many different options. The choices ranged from Cucumber-Dill to Sweet Thai Chili. After being completely satisfied with my meal and becoming "pleasantly plump," I noticed that for dessert they had bread pudding. I am a person who does not have the ability to NOT try bread pudding when I am at a restaurant. I did partake, and I graduated from "pleasantly plump" to "fat and sassy."

But don't take it from me. Just have a look at what my foodie friends had to say:

DR. J
DR. J ordered "The Big Fish," a tempura ale-battered whitefish filet with tillamook cheddar, tomato, butter lettuce, cider slaw and secret sauce on a brioche bun. When asked about his dinner DR. J responded: "I like my fish like I like my women, pungent and spicy."

T-DAWG
T-DAWG had the "Brick House," a burger made from a blend of beef brisket, short rib and chuck tenderloin topped with apple wood bacon, tillamook-aged cheddar, smoked bacon aioli, red onion jam, roma tomato and "stacked chips" on a brioche bun. In regards to her meal, T-DAWG said, "That is a tasty burger." She followed up her statement with "Suck-it Blanc'."

BRETT THE JETT
BRETT THE JETT devoured his "Kobe Meatball Sliders," a trio of small meatball sandwiches covered with hand pulled mozzarella and basil pesto with garlic aioli on the side. After wiping the sauce off his chin THE JETT proclaimed, "those are the tastiest balls I have had in my mouth in a long time."

Final summation: Do yourself a favor, go to Beer Kitchen and nom nom nom the shit out of it.

1 comment:

  1. Dang it, that sounds fantastic. When I get back in town I'll have to tag along for another of your food adventures.

    ReplyDelete