Monday, June 6, 2011

Where NOT to eat: FRAN's RESTAURANT


Located in the heart of KC's Power & Light District, Fran's Restaurant's claim to fame is it's 24-7 access to upscale comfort food. Unfortunately, Fran's is a HOUSE OF LIES!!!!

I visited Fran's this past Memorial Day with a few associates of mine who are always on the look out for new places to have breakfast. We realized upon our arrival that there were barely any customers in the restaurant. After a brief wait, we were seated and began to peruse the menu. I immediately started to notice that the two females in the group seemed to be growing increasingly more and more uncomfortable. At first, I reasoned that it was just the atmosphere of the place; it wasn't really comforting or inviting at all. It definitely didn't reflect the diner atmosphere that they were attempting to go for. Then I started to notice that it was a little too cold for my liking. That was the problem, because "too cold for my liking" translated into arctic winds to the ladies of the group. We ignored the problem and ordered our drinks, which came out promptly. Some had juice, some had coffee, one of us just stuck with water. The waiter got our beverages switched around and the coffee drinkers had to ask for an adequate amount of cream for the coffee but no big deal. We ordered our food and were pretty excited about it because the menu looked tasty. They had all the basics, a few signature entrees, and multiple variations of Eggs Benedict.

THE MENU: FRAN's RESTAURANT MENU

But alas, it wasn't meant to be. Time passed and our waiter never returned. The temperature of the room continued to drop, and I feared that we might lose the girls to either starvation or the elements.

(fictional representation of restaurant's environmental conditions)

An hour passed and people all around us began to receive their food. Even the tables that came in after us with the same number of patrons were receiving their food. And still, no waiter. Now let me say that I have worked in the food industry for a number of years so I am very forgiving about problems that can arise in a restaurant. We might have been feeling a little more positive about the wait if our server would have at least come by at some point and assured us that our food would be right out, or made up some sort of plausible explanation for why we had been left for dead. But our waiter did none of these things. So after careful consideration, we left money for our drinks on the table and walked out. I have never done that in my life, but I felt like the bad service and the bad atmosphere warranted it.



We left and headed straight for a quality establishment that I can't stop recommending to the world. (Please follow this link to a delicious breakfast experience)

When the day was over we decided to look up reviews about Fran's and saw that we weren't the only ones who have come up against bad service at this particular location. There were also a number of comments to be found about the food being sub-par and the place only being tolerable if your are drunk. Unfortunately for Fran's, that is not the type of restaurant that I want to give my business to.

1 comment:

  1. I was one of the unfortunate "freeing females" of the group. I can say that this was the worst restaurant experience ever. We were all getting together to hang out and have good conversation so i think that we were just kind of waiting to see just how long it was going to take for the food to come out....as one of the other "associates" put it, "I wish we had left a video camera there to see the waiters reaction". We all agreed after our delicious meal, elsewhere, we could probably go back to Fran's and still be in wait of our food. Sorry Fran, but you suck and I'm gonna send Mel (from Mel's Diner in San Fran) to kick your clueless ass...

    ReplyDelete